Virginia Commonwealth Games
Dates: Saturday, July 22, 2017
Scholastic & Open Chess Championship
Time: 10AM – 8PM
Doors open at 7:30 - 9:15 AM for on-site Registration.
Fee(s): $25 per player
Location: Liberty University, Demoss Hall - Room 4066
Division(s): The tournament is organized into three (3) Divisions: Scholastic K-5, Scholastic 6-12, and Open.
- The Scholastic Sections are for school-age players in grades pre-school through High School. Experienced Scholastic Players may find a greater challenge in the Open Section. US Chess Federation Membership is not required in either Scholastic Section.
- The Open Section is intended for experienced players regardless of age. Adult beginners can only play in the Open Section.
US Chess Federation Membership is REQUIRED.
Registration Deadline: Online Registration ends at midnight, Thursday July 20th. On site Registration is open on Saturday, July 22 from 7:30-9AM.
General Information: Chess Sets and boards will be provided. Players should bring their own Chess Clocks, pens and pencils if they have them. A Chess Clock is not required, but is strongly recommended. There will not be a Chess vendor on site.
Please check the hotels page for a list of partnered hotels that offer special rates for
Virginia Commonwealth Games participants.
Competition Format: 4 Rounds, Swiss System. This is not an elimination tournament, every player plays 4 games!
Scholastic Sections: All played at Game-40, with 5-second time delay
- Round 1: 10 AM
- Time Control for both Scholastic Sections is Game 40 for all 4 rounds.
- Time Control for the Open Section is Game 45 for Rounds 1 and 2, and Game 60 for Rounds 3 and 4.
- All sections will observe a 5-second time delay per move.
- “Game 40” means each player has up to 40 minutes to make all of his/her moves, so a full game could last as long as 80 minutes under Game 40 conditions.
- Rounds 2-4: Played as soon as possible after the previous round ends
Open Section: Rounds begin at the following times ...
- Round 1: 10 AM, Game-45, with 5-second time delay
- Round 2: 12:15 PM, same as Round 1
- Round 3: 2:30 PM, Game-60, with 5 second time delay
- Round 4: 5:30 PM, same as Round 3
Awards: 1st & 2nd Place (Gold Medal); 3rd & 4th Place (Silver); 5th & 6th (Bronze) in all 3 Sections. Participation Ribbons to Scholastic Section participants.
For more information contact:
Want to volunteer for the 2017 Games?
Fill out the Volunteer Application online: