Virginia Commonwealth Games
Dates: Saturday, July 28, 2018
Scholastic & Open Chess Championship
Time: 10AM – 8PM
Doors open at 7:30 - 9:15 AM for on-site Registration.
Fee(s): $25 per player if registered by July 24th, increases to $35 after July 24th.
Location: Liberty University, Demoss Hall 4162
Division(s): The tournament is organized into three (3) Divisions: Scholastic K-5, Scholastic 6-12, and Open.
Registration Deadline: Online Registration ends at midnight, Thursday July 26th. On site Registration is open on Saturday, July 28 from 7:30-9AM.
General Information: Chess Sets and boards will be provided, but players can use their own. Players should bring their own Chess Clocks, pens and pencils if they have them. A Chess Clock is not required, but is strongly recommended. There will not be a Chess vendor on site.
- The Scholastic Sections are for school-age players in grades pre-school through High School. Experienced Scholastic Players with an actual Chess Rating over 1200 may find a greater challenge in the Open Section. US Chess Federation Membership is not required in either Scholastic Section.
- The Open Section is intended for experienced players regardless of age. Adult beginners can only play in the Open Section. US Chess Federation Membership is REQUIRED
Please check the hotels page for a list of partnered hotels that offer special rates for
Virginia Commonwealth Games participants.
Competition Format: 4 Rounds, Swiss System. This is not an elimination tournament, every player plays 4 games!
Scholastic Sections: All played at Game-40, with 5-second time delay
- Round 1: 10 AM
- Time Control for both Scholastic Sections is Game 40 for all 4 rounds.
- Time Control for the Open Section is Game 45 for Rounds 1 and 2, and Game 60 for Rounds 3 and 4.
- All sections will observe a 5-second time delay per move.
- “Game 40” means each player has up to 40 minutes to make all of his/her moves, so a full game could last as long as 80 minutes under Game 40 conditions.
- Rounds 2-4: Played as soon as possible after the previous round ends
Open Section: Rounds begin at the following times ...
- Round 1: 10 AM, Game-45, with 5-second time delay
- Round 2: 12:15 PM, same as Round 1
- Round 3: 2:30 PM, Game-60, with 5 second time delay
- Round 4: 5:30 PM, same as Round 3
Awards: 1st & 2nd Place (Gold Medal); 3rd & 4th Place (Silver); 5th & 6th (Bronze) in all 3 Sections. Participation Ribbons to Scholastic Section participants.
For more information contact:
Want to volunteer for the 2018 Games?
Fill out the Volunteer Application online: